My slow-cooker is such a doll, cooking dinner for me all day while I’m at work. Came home to a heaping batch of this the other day!
Let’s face it, the last thing you want to do when you get in from work is slave over a hot stove. Everyone loves coming home to a warm, home-cooked meal. Enter slow-cooker. This guy will change your life, or at the very least, he will cook you dinner while you’re out.
All you need to do for this recipe is toss all the ingredients in your slow-cooker and let it do all the work. Perfect for the lazy chef, the pressed for time chef or the I can’t cook chef.
For this recipe, you’ll need one package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, one onion, 4 cloves of garlic, some olive oil, chicken broth and your favourite vegetables and spices. I used red-skin potatoes, parsnips, carrots, mushrooms and green beans for the vegetables and basil, parsley, paprika, rosemary, oregano, pepper and garlic powder for the spices.
Start by chopping all your vegetables and placing them in a large bowl. Save the onion and garlic for later. Add olive oil and spices and toss until well coated.
Transfer the vegetables to your slow cooker. Slice one onion and 3-4 cloves of garlic and place them on top of the vegetable mix.
Meanwhile, coat your chicken with olive oil and spices the same way you did for the vegetables. Brown the chicken on both sides in a frying pan.
Add to the slow cooker on top of the onions and garlic.
Add 3/4 cup of reduced sodium chicken broth (or mix one part chicken broth with one part water) and mix inside the slow cooker.
Set your slow cooker on low for 5-6 hours or until veggies are soft and chicken is fully cooked.
If any broth has not been absorbed, add a 1-2 teaspoons of cornstarch to thicken.
You can make this the night before and warm it up when you get home for work or let the slow cooker make you dinner while you’re out. You can leave the slow cooker on the ‘keep warm’ setting all day if you make it the night before and don’t want to have to reheat it when you get home.
Slow Cooker Herbed Chicken & Veggies
1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 medium onion, sliced
3-4 cloves of garlic, sliced
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 cup of green beans, chopped
1 cup of mushrooms, quartered
2 cups of small round red-skinned potatoes, halved
3/4 cup chicken broth
generous amounts of basil, parsley, oregano and rosemary
dash of paprika, pepper and garlic powder
1. Add carrots, parsnips, green beans, mushrooms and potatoes to a large bowl. Coat with olive oil and spices. Mix well.
2. Coat chicken breasts with olive oil and spices and add to a frying pan on medium heat. Cook until browned on both sides.
3. Add vegetables to a slow cooker. Top with slices of onion and garlic.
4. Add chicken to the slow cooker.
5. Add 3/4 cup of chicken broth to slow cooker (or enough to make an inch and a half layer at the bottom of the slow cooker).
6. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are soft and chicken is fully cooked.
7. If chicken broth is not all absorbed, add 1-2 teaspoons of cornstarch to make a thicker gravy.