Put a new spin on lasagna with these lasagna rolls stuffed with ricotta and spinach.
1 package of lasagna noodles
1 container of ricotta cheese
grated cheese (mozarella, cheddar or both)
fresh spinach, chopped
dash of parsley, pepper and garlic powder
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can crushed tomatoes
1/2 can of tomato paste
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
generous amounts of basil, oregano and parsley
dash of crushed red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy), pepper and garlic powder
1 bay leaf
Note: If you don’t want to make your own sauce, you can use a jar/can of your favourite ready-made pasta sauce.
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the entire package of lasagna noodles (usually about 12). Cook until almost ready.
2. Meanwhile, get started on the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a separate pot on medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic until tender.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Bring to a boil then let simmer on low heat for 25 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta and egg. Mix until lightly blended.
5. Add generous amounts of spinach, shredded cheese and parmesan cheese. You can add as much or as little as you want, depending on how cheesy you want it to be. Add the parsley, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Set the cheese and spinach mixture aside.
6. Remove the lasagna noodles from the pot and drain under cold water. Place the noodles on a flat surface and run a line of the cheese mixture down the middle of each noodle. Roll up each noodle.
7. Spread a layer of sauce on the bottom of a 13×9 pyrex dish. Add the lasagna rolls on top, open side faced down. Top with the remaining sauce and parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until lasagna noodles are soft and rolls are heated through. Add shredded cheese on top and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
Bonus: You can use the same recipe to make stuffed pasta shells.