Looking for a vegetarian option for dinner? This recipe is so easy and makes a great meatless alternative. Best part? You can even eat the bowl!
1 medium eggplant
2 tbsp butter
1 small onion, diced
5-6 medium mushrooms, chopped
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp basil
dash of pepper
1/2 cup grated cheese (cheddar or mozarella)
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulp with a spoon. Be sure to leave a 1/4 inch thick shell. Chop the pulp into small pieces and set aside.
3. Cook the eggplant in an ungreased pyrex dish for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large frying pan and saute the onion until tender. Add the eggplant pulp and mushrooms and continue cooking until soft. Add the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and spices. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the eggplant shells from the oven and spoon the contents from the frying pan into each shell. Return to the oven and cook until eggplant shells are soft.
6. Add the grated cheese on top and broil for 3 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.